Spotlight on Holocaust Education!
It’s hard to believe that we have already wrapped up hosting our fifth annual Holocaust education workshop! What started as a fairly small program has grown into a three day event in early August that included trips to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and
American Red Cross Holocaust and War Victims Tracing Center. The 34 participants represented a fascinating diversity of backgrounds and specialties. Here’s the breakdown:
- Anne Arundel public schools: 1
- Baltimore City public schools: 6
- Baltimore County public schools: 2
- Carroll County public schools: 6
- Cecil County public schools: 2
- Frederick County public schools: 1
- Howard County public schools: 3
- Jewish schools: 3
- Archdiocese of Baltimore: 4
- Graduate students: 3
- JMM volunteers: 2
- Maryland State Department of Education administrator: 1
Here are a couple of photos from Monday at the JMM:
Dr. Nicole Dombrowski of Towson University shares their online digitized archive of materials relating to the Nuremberg Trials.
Storyteller Jennifer Rudick Zunikoff introduces students from Goucher College who have focused on learning and sharing personal testimonies.
Teachers learned about additional resources like this trunk of materials that is available to rent from the Baltimore Jewish Council.
Additionally, participants listened to survivors, watched documentaries, learned best practices from award-winning teachers, received introductions to humanitarian law and Israeli history, explored social action in contemporary situations, heard about education practices in Russia, visited exhibitions, and so much more!
Some of the overwhelmingly positive feedback that we received:
- Thanks so much for the GREAT food, excellent planning, and phenomenal resources!! I am very appreciative of this fabulous institute!!
- Thanks for everything!! Excellent job! Great info!!
- Great job, excellent resources & diversity in topics/speakers
- Wonderful workshop! One of the best I’ve ever taken.
- This was a great experience!
- This was an incredible conference! Thank you for bringing in so many terrific speakers. We learned a lot in a very short amount of time. I was impressed with the breadth of knowledge spanned by the speakers!
- Wonderful seminar – I can’t wait to take it again!
If you are interested in participating next year, please email education coordinator, Lauren Silberman, at firstname.lastname@example.org to be notified.