COLLECTIONS MANAGER / REGISTRAR
The Jewish Museum of Maryland (JMM), a dynamic museum of regional Jewish history and culture seeks a collections manager/registrar to provide oversight to the Museum’s collection of 84,000 artifacts. Main areas of responsibility include the acquisition, intellectual control and physical maintenance and safety of the Museum’s collections and historic sites. In consultation with the Museum’s staff and members of its collections committee, s/he develops policies and procedures for the care of the collection and plans for its growth. The collections manager has special responsibility for all collections artifacts including three-dimensional objects, archival documents, oral histories and photographs and oversees cataloging, digitization and collections access. S/he is also responsible for writing collections committee and facilities reports. Additionally, s/he oversees traveling exhibitions, facilitates requests for collections research and photograph reproductions and conducts collections-based research for exhibitions.
Specific tasks and responsibilities include:
- Coordinates all offers of donations to collections
- Oversees special collecting initiatives
- Maintains accession records and collections database (PastPerfect 5.0)
- Ensures that the Museum is in compliance with laws and regulations pertaining to its collections and collecting activities
- Manages in-coming and out-going loans
- Manages in-coming and out-going traveling exhibitions
- Manages the Museum’s oral history program
- Supervises collections volunteers and interns
- Staffs the board collections committee
- Supervises collections researchers
- Undertakes other special projects and duties assigned by the JMM executive director and assistant director
Reports to: The Museum’s Assistant Director
Qualifications: BA in museum studies, history, art history, or related discipline required; MA preferred. Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Minimum of five years experience in collections management or related work, familiarity with museum registration standards and practice, experience with archives and competence in collections database management required. Knowledge of Maryland and/or Jewish history a plus.
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive salary with benefits and a collegial and team-oriented work environment. The JMM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send cover letter, resume, and salary requirement, in addition to names and contact information for three references to: Deborah Cardin, Assistant Director, Jewish Museum of Maryland, email@example.com. Application deadline: June 20, 2014.