This week’s finding aid excerpt is for the Jewish War Veterans, Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection. Along with the archives we also recieved several photographs and objects which can be found through our online collections catalog.
The Jewish War Veterans
Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection
ACCESS AND PROVENANCE
The Jewish War Veterans Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection was donated to the Jewish Museum of Maryland in 2005 as part of accession 2005.002 by Tova Rosenblatt. The collection was processed by Jennifer Vess in 2010.
Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures.
The history of the Jewish War Veterans of the United States of America (JWV) began with the formation of the Hebrew Union Veterans (HUV) in 1896. In 1912 the HUV combined with the Hebrew Veterans of the War with Spain and in 1929 the organization adopted its current name. The JWV is organized at the local level with posts, which are combined into increasingly larger geographic units, ending with the National Convention. The JWV chartered their museum in 1958, which became the National Museum of American Jewish Military History (NMAJMH) in 1994. The JWV also has a Ladies Auxiliary.
Post 167, known today as the Maryland Free State post, is part of the Department of Maryland of the Jewish War Veterans of the USA. For many years the post leased space from the Randallstown Synagogue Center. They are currently (as of 2010) located at VFW Post 521.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The Jewish War Veterans Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection consists of correspondence, programs, financial records, minutes and legal agreements for JWV Post 167 and their Ladies Auxiliary. The records include information about the annual events, partnerships with other veterans organizations, the general functions of the post, legal arrangements with Randallstown Synagogue Center, and connections to the national JWV organization and other Maryland posts. The collection is organized into four series: Series I. Maryland Free State Post 167, 1946-1990, contains the majority of the collection including correspondence, newspaper clippings, financial records and meeting minutes. Series II. National Organization Events, 1953-1979, includes lists, letters, programs and legal agreements related to the National Conventions and the Annual Encampments. Series III. Ladies Auxiliary, 1948-1979 contains a handbook, scrapbooks, meeting minutes and programs related to the JWV Ladies Auxiliary. All files are organized alphabetically within each series. Series IV. Photographs contains mostly headshots of members of the Maryland Free State Post 167 and some event photographs.