Posted on February 23rd, 2012 by admin
Some of you may remember an exhibition we had on loan from the Museumof Jewish Heritage called Ours To Fight For: American Jews in the Second World War.? Because of that exhibition we received a large number of donations of photographs, uniforms, dog tags, books, and papers related to the military service of Jewish Marylanders in World War II.? The following finding aid is one of those donations.
?David O. Feldman (b. 1920)
World War II Military Papers, n.d, 1942-1953
?The Jewish Museum of Maryland
Accession and Provenance
The David O. Feldman World War II Military Papers were donated to the Jewish Museum of Maryland by David O. Feldman as accession 2008.003.? Jennifer Vess processed the collection with the help of Bernie Raynor and Alan Blumberg in 2011.
Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland.? Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection.? Papers may be copied in accordance with the library?s usual procedures.
David O. Feldmann standing outside in the Yukon, 2008.3.1.
David O. Feldman was born May 16, 1920 in Baltimoreto Benno Feldman and Sarah Frank Feldman.? Feldman graduated from North Carolina State University.? In May 1942, after graduating college, he entered the US Army through ROTC and was initially commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant.? Feldman was stationed at Whitehorse, Yukon Territory and remained there from June 1942 through April 1946.? Feldman remained in the Army Reserves until being discharged in 1953.? By that point he had attained the rank of Captain.? Feldman married in 1948 and had three children.
Clock showing the "midnight sun" in Whitehorse Yukon Territory, June 21. 2008.3.4.
Scope and Content
This collection contains official records related to David O. Feldman?s military career during World War II, including discharge papers, shipping receipts, orders, rosters, etc.? The materials are divided into folders according the subjects designated by the donor, and the folders are organized in a roughly chronological order.
David O. Feldmann during World War II. 2008.3.3.
Posted on December 1st, 2011 by admin
The B'nai Abraham and Yehuda Laib Society (BYAL) collection is one of our expanding collections – every so often we receive more materials to add to it. This usually happens when we get materials from organizations that are still active. We received the first donation of materials from BAYL in 1988 and the most recent in 2010. Because the collection is going to continue growing the finding aid will be constantly updated as well, so in a couple of years it may look a little different than it does now.
Gathering of BAYL, October 24, 1971. This picture is part of the first BAYL donation. 1988.112.29
B’nai Abraham and Yehuda Laib Society (Baltimore,MD)
Records, n.d., 1914-2010
Jewish Museum of Maryland
The B’nai Abraham and Yehuda Laib Society Records were donated to the Jewish Museum of Maryland in 1988, 1989, 1992, 1994, 1995, 2007 and 2010 as accessions 1988.112, 1989.028, 1992.175, 1994.168, 1995.005, 2007.034 and 2010.014 by Harold Yatt andRebeccaTucker on behalf of the B’nai Abraham and Yehuda Laib Society. Additional materials will likely be added over time. The collection was partially processed sometime after 1995 by an unknown archivist, and was reprocessed by Jennifer Vess in October 2010.
Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures.
The Meyer Rosen family. 1989.28.7
The B’nai Abraham and Yehuda Laib Family Society (BAYL) was founded inBaltimorein 1901 as a mutual aid society by relatives of Yehuda Laib Romm and Rabbi Abraham Abramson.
The original purpose of the society was to fund the immigration of relatives fromLithuaniato theUnited States. The society also helped newly arrived immigrants establish themselves. While most immigrants initially came toBaltimore, after theUSenacted immigration restrictions other immigrants settled inSouth AfricaorPalestine. BAYL also sent assistance to families inLithuania. After World War I several of the families fromBaltimorepurchased a home inAnne Arundel County,MDcalled ‘Greenhaven,’ to be used as a summer retreat.
After World War II, BAYL expanded their philanthropic work beyond immigration assistance, mostly administered through the Anna and Myer Smith Memorial Fund. BAYL continues to function today with a large membership.
Information derived from www.bayl.org.
Meeting of the B'nai Abraham and Yehuda Laib Family Circle, at Greenhaven in Pasadena, MD, 1944. 1989.28.3
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The B’nai Abraham and Yehuda Laib Family Society Records consist of publications, financial records, programs, and other papers related to the administration of the Society as well as its programs. The majority of the materials consist of BAYL’s regular publication, The Bulletin, and a group of financial papers. The collection is divided into nine series:SeriesI. Publications, 1950-2010, Series II. Meeting Minutes, 1930-1965, Series III. Anniversary Banquets, n.d., 1946-2006, Series IV. Financial Papers, 1914-1970, Series V. Philanthropic Work, 1947-1952, Series VI. Membership, 1955-2008, Series VII. Miscellaneous files, n.d., 2001, Series VIII. Films, 1939-2006, and Series VIV. Photographs.
SeriesI.Publications, 1950-2010 contains an incomplete run of the BAYL Family Society newsletter – The Bulletin – from 1950 through 2010. Several of the anniversary year issues (compiled every five years) are also part of the collection. Series II. Meeting Minutes, 1930-1965 consists of four books in Yiddish (1930-1937) and English (1937-1965). The years 1938 through 1958 are missing. Series III. Anniversary Banquets, n.d., 1946-2006 contains materials related to the anniversary banquets (held every five years) including programs, accounts, etc. Series IV. Financial Papers, 1914-1970 includes account books, ledgers, financial records and reports. Series V. Philanthropic Work, 1947-1952 consists of materials related to the societies charity work, particularly the Anna and Myer Smith Memorial Fund. Series VI. Membership, 1955-2008 contains membership rosters. Series VII. Misc., n.d., 2001 is a small series with articles and and a family history, probably printed from the BAYL website.
The BAYL records also include films and photographs. Series VIII. Films, 1939-2006 consists of eleven reels of 8mm or 16mm films of banquets and dinners taken between 1939 and 1959, and one DVD of the 105th Anniversary event. Series VIV. Photographs, contains a number of photographs related to BAYL events, members and Greenhaven.
(Second from left to right) Sol Levine, Dr. Sol Smith, Philip Rosen, and Louis Silverman, officers of the B'nai Abraham and Yehuda Laib Family Circle, at the Family Circle's summer meeting at Greenhaven, Pasadena, MD, 1944. 1989.28.5