Posted on January 10th, 2013 by Jennifer
The majority of our archival collection here at the Jewish Museum of Maryland dates after the construction of the Lloyd Street Synagogue (1845). This isn’t surprising giving the size of the Jewish population in Baltimore before that time. But we do have some items from the earlier part of the 19th century or even the end of the 18th century.
and Miriam (daughter of Ezekiel) in Baltimore, 1839. Courtesy of Mabel F. Kraus. 1964.24.2″]
Handwritten ketubah (marriage contract) for Simon [Floss?
Prayer book, in Old German and Hebrew, edited by W. Heidenheim and published in Rodelheim by J. Lehrberger, 1838. This book was used by Rabbi Abraham J. Rice (first rabbi at the Lloyd Street Synagogue) with family information inscribed. Courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Leo Flehinger. 1963.6.1
Indenture between Daniel Evans and Richard Bell for a piece of ground in Fells Point at Fleet and Ann Streets for $1000.00, 1818. Courtesy of Albert Berney. 1992.232.2
Power of attorney concerning Michael Gratz, his wife Miriam Gratz and Michael’s brother Bernard, 1795. Courtesy of Dr. Joseph Francus. 1983.31.2
A travel diary/itinerary for a trip taken July 9-August 17, 1786. 1988.145.10
Hebrew or Yiddish note with English translations regarding the death of Joshua Cohen in Germany, 6 Tammuz 5539 (1779). Courtesy of Maxwell Whiteman. 1989.1.19