Spotlight on Collections

Posted on January 10th, 2013 by

The majority of our archival collection here at the Jewish Museum of Maryland dates after the construction of the Lloyd Street Synagogue (1845).? This isn?t surprising giving the size of the Jewish population in Baltimore before that time.? But we do have some items from the earlier part of the 19th century or even the end of the 18th century.

cheap oem software downloads
skin whitening forever
and Miriam (daughter of Ezekiel) in Baltimore, 1839. Courtesy of Mabel F. Kraus. 1964.24.2″]

Handwritten ketubah (marriage contract) for Simon [Floss?

Prayer book, in Old German and Hebrew, edited by W. Heidenheim and published in Rodelheim by J. Lehrberger, 1838. This book was used by Rabbi Abraham J. Rice (first rabbi at the Lloyd Street Synagogue) with family information inscribed. Courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Leo Flehinger. 1963.6.1

Indenture between Daniel Evans and Richard Bell for a piece of ground in Fells Point at Fleet and Ann Streets for $1000.00, 1818. Courtesy of Albert Berney. 1992.232.2

Power of attorney concerning Michael Gratz, his wife Miriam Gratz and Michael?s brother Bernard, 1795. Courtesy of Dr. Joseph Francus. 1983.31.2

A travel diary/itinerary for a trip taken July 9-August 17, 1786. 1988.145.10

Hebrew or Yiddish note with English translations regarding the death of Joshua Cohen in Germany, 6 Tammuz 5539 (1779). Courtesy of Maxwell Whiteman. 1989.1.19

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland




Synagogue Bulletins

Posted on November 8th, 2012 by

Today is a great day!

The Jewish Museum of Maryland has been collection synagogue bulletins for years as a resource for staff and researchers, but until today we didn't have a good way to get out the information about this collection.? We?ve had these bulletins, but it took a dedicated intern to organize 26 linear feet of material and create a detailed list of the congregations and bulletins.? This took some time but today the process was completed! This blog contains an abbreviated version of that list (which can also be found in our online collections database).? If you?re interested in more detail about which dates are included in this collection contact the archivist.

Synagogue & Congregation Bulletins of Maryland

1956-present

The Jewish Museum of Maryland

SCOPE AND CONTENT

This active collection consists primarily of Maryland synagogue and congregation bulletins, newsletters, leaflets, etc. The bulletins and newsletters are weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, and contain information about each synagogue?s and congregation?s announcements, discourses, workings, and information about each synagogue or congregation. Some of the synagogues and congregations included registries or other materials that are marked in the inventory. This is not a complete collection of all synagogues and congregations in Maryland, and not all of the bulletins are a complete run. The files are organized in alphabetical order by name of congregation, and the bulletins are organized chronologically.

Adat Chaim (Reisterstown) — May 1994 through November 2007

Agudath Israel of Baltimore (Baltimore) [The Lasson Agudah Center] — n.d, Volumes 137, 139, 143, 145-148, 150, 152, 160

Am Kolel (Rockville) –Aug 2003 through April 2005

Anshe Emunah-Aitz Chaim Congregation (Baltimore) [Liberty Jewish Center] — Apr 1963

Baltimore Hebrew Congregation (weekly) — Dec 1962 through September 2006

Baltimore Hebrew Congregation. Courtesy of Paul Schlossberg. 1984.24.2

Baltimore Jewish Cultural Chavurah (Towson) — July 2003 through September 2005

Bat Yam (Ocean City) — April 2002 through March 2011

Temple Bat Yam. Courtesy of Dianne Feldman. 2002.75.1

Beit Tikvah (Mt. Washington) — November 1978, September 1991 to 1997

B'er Chayim (Cumberland) — July 2003 through present

Beth Am (Baltimore) — July 2003 through December 2011

Beth El Congregation (Baltimore) — April 1963 through November 2006

Beth El Congregation (Bethesda) — July 2003 through present

Beth Israel Synagogue (Lexington Park) — March 1997 through March 2009

Beth Israel Congregation (Owings Mills) — April 1996 through present

Beth Israel Synagogue on Liberty Rd. Courtesy of Louis Beck. 1987.173.60

Beth Jacob Congregation (Baltimore) [weekly] — December 1961 through December 2005

Beth Shalom (Columbia) — July 2003 through March 2004

Beth Sholom Synagogue (Frederick) — July 1995 through December 2010

Beth Sholom (Potomac) — November 2003 through January 2009

Beth Tfiloh Syngagoue (Baltimore) — June 1962 through Present

Beth Tfiloh pre-school class of Mrs. Eve Marks and Mrs. Silverstein, Baltimore, December 1960. Courtesy of Eve Marks. 1995.170.1

adobe software for mac

Bethesda Jewish Congregation — November 2003

B'nai Abraham (Hagerstown) — July 2003 through March 2008

Early B'nai Abraham congregation location. 1987.137.3

B'nai Israel (Rockville) — September 2005

B'nai Shalom of Olney — September 2003 through December 2004

B'nai Tzedek (Potomac) [Jewish Congregation of Suburban MD Inc.] — January 1997 through present

Bolton Street Synagogue (Baltimore) — November 1989 through October 2010

Calah Congregation (Columbia) — January 2004 through June 2010

Chestertown Havurah — January 2004 through May 2007

Chizuk Amuno Congregation (Baltimore) — February 1956 through present

Congregation Har Shalom (Potomac) — June 2003 through present

Columbia Jewish Congregation (Columbia) — July 2003 through Sept 2004

Congregation Or Chadash (Germantown/ Damascus) — October 2003 through present

Gaithersburg Hebrew Congregation (Gaithersburg) — August 1971 through March 1973

Har Sinai Congregation (Baltimore) — May 1963 through February 2009

Jewish Community Center of Prince George County, Inc.? (Greenbelt) — July 2003 through August 2006

Kneseth Israel (Annapolis) — June 1998 through December 2001

Kneseth Israel, Annapolis, c. 1995. Courtesy of Eric Goldstein. 2001.113.22

Kol Ami (Annapolis) — August 1997 through May 2005

Nevy Shalom (Bowie) — January 2000 through August 2005

Ner Tamid Greeenspring Valley Spring Synagogue (Baltimore) — July 2003 through August 2007

Ohr Kodesh (Chevy Chase) — March 1997 through present

Oseh Shalom (Laurel) — July 2003 through May 2010

Shaarei Zion (Baltimore) — September 1961 through June 2010

Shaarei Zion at Park Heights Avenue and Hillsdale Road, n.d. 1987.137.38

Shearith Israel (Baltimore) — 1992, 2003 through present

Shearith Israel Synagogue at Park Heights Avenue and Glen Avenue. 1987.137.15Temple Emanuel, c. 1980. Courtesy of Paul Schlossberg

Shomrei Emunah (Baltimore) — July 2003 through January 2004

Temple Beth Ami (Rockville) — October 2003 through March 2009

Temple Emanuel (Baltimore) (weekly) — March 1963 through October 1968

Temple Emanuel/ Kol Kore (Kensington) — January 2004 through March 2009

Temple Emanuel (Reisterstown) — January through December 2003

Temple Isaiah (Columbia) — August 2003 through March 2007

Temple Oheb Shalom — December 1961 through present

Temple Shalom (Chevy Chase) — July 2003 through September 2006

Temple Solel (Bowie) — April 1998 through present

Tikvat Israel Congregation (Rockville) — July 2003 through June 2012

Winands Road Synagogue Center (Randallstown) — July 2003 through present

Winands Road Synagogue Center, c. 1980. Courtesy of Paul Schlossberg. 1994.24.33

windows antivirus software

Young Israel of White Oak (Silver Spring) — through present

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,




Once Upon a Time…12.16.2011

Posted on July 10th, 2012 by

The Baltimore Jewish Times publishes unidentified photographs from the collection of Jewish Museum of Maryland each week. Click here to see the most recent photo on their website. If you can identify anyone in these photos and more information about them, contactJobi Zink, Senior Collections Manager and Registrar at 410.732.6400 x226 or jzink@jewishmuseummd.org.

Date run in Baltimore Jewish Times:  December 16, 2011

PastPerfect Accession #:  1989.109.015

Status:  Mighty AZOANS – Partially Identified! Left: unidentified. Right: George Stiffman, the late father of Rabbi Jeffrey Stiffman, who was assistant rabbi at Baltimore Hebrew Congregation under Rabbi Morris Leiberman and then the senior rabbi at Congregation Shaare Emeth in St. Louis, Mo. and is now fully retired there.

While the Azoans were at first associated with the Jewish pharmacy fraternity “AZO”, they developed into a wholly independent group of “Wives and Daughters of Jewish Pharmacists.” They did a lot of charitable work, as well as becoming a social group.

George was a pharmacist and an owner of Charles St. Pharmacy for many years. His wife was Ernestine “Tini” Lubarsky Stiffman who was principal of the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation school. Tini served as president of the organization (AZOANS) three different times

Special Thanks To: Jerry Cohen, Dr. Fleischmann, Rabbi Jeffrey Stiffman

Posted in jewish museum of maryland