Manuscript Collection 1: Dr. Stephen Laufer Papers

Posted on August 6th, 2015 by

Dr. Stephen (Schulim) Laufer (1894-1983) Papers

1908-1978

MS 1

 

ACCESS AND PROVENANCE

The Dr. Stephen Laufer Papers were donated by Dr. Stephen Laufer and Mrs. Wilma Laufer Gabbay, a longtime resident of Baltimore, as 1983.5.  The collection was processed by Dr. Laufer, Mrs. Gabbay and Anne Turkos in 1982. Further information was added in 2003 by Robin Waldman with the assistance of Wilma Gabbay.

Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures. 

 

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH

Dr. Stephen Laufer was born in Bolechow in East Galicia on January 6, 1894, the first son and second child of Israel and Golda (Diengott) Laufer. He attended school in Bolechow until the age of twelve and then left for the neighboring town of Stryj to continue his education, as at that time Bolechow did not have a gymnasium. When World War I broke out in 1914, the Laufer family moved to Budapest, and Stephen obtained work in a leather factory. As he had only completed the seventh grade of gymnasium, he petitioned to take the examinations for the eighth grade and the matura. He successfully did this in 1915, returning to Stryj for the tests.

Stephen (Schulim) Laufer, far right, with friends David Kreppel and Abraham Hruszowski.  The three boys were in the same fourth year high school class in Stryj, Pland, 1910-1911. JMM 1983.5.6

Stephen (Schulim) Laufer, far right, with friends David Kreppel and Abraham Hruszowski. The three boys were in the same fourth year high school class in Stryj, Poland, 1910-1911. JMM 1983.5.6

In 1915 Laufer registered with the Austro-Hungarian authorities and was found fit for army service; he was exempted, however, on the basis of necessary work. In 1918 all exemptions were cancelled and he was drafted into the army but peace was declared before he saw combat.

After the war, Stephen’s family returned to Bolechow and he decided to continue his education in Vienna in 1918. He earned a degree in agricultural engineering and also a doctorate in agricultural chemistry at the Hochschule fur Bodenkultur in 1922. For one year he served as the director of an orphanage farm in Stanislawow, then as a teacher of science in a Jewish gymnasium in Kalisch, Poland, from 1923-1925.

Black and white copy print of the Streifer family from left to right:  Henry Streifer, Joseph Streifer, Miriam Streifer, Aron Streifer, Wolf Streifer, and Ann Streifer, 1902-1905.

Streifer family from left to right: Henry Streifer, Joseph Streifer, Miriam Streifer, Aron Streifer, Wolf Streifer, and Ann Streifer, 1902-1905.

In 1920 Laufer married Anna (Chana) Streifer, daughter of Wolf and Miriam (Pomerantz) Streifer, also of Bolechow. They had three children: Ruth, born in 1923, who married Jerome Morton; Irma, born in 1935, who married Jack Katz; and Irma’s twin, Wilma, who married Albert Gabbay.

Dr. Laufer had been active in the Zionist movement as a teenager. In fact his studies were designed to prepare him for work in Palestine. In September 1925, he left for Haifa with his wife, daughter and mother-in-law. While in Palestine they had no luck finding permanent employment. When their money ran out, the family decided to move to America as relatives of the Streifers were already living there. In February 1929 they sailed on the Alesia, a French ship, from Haifa to Providence, Rhode Island. They lived briefly in Jersey City and Brooklyn and the Bronx for several years, and then bought a home in Forest Hills, Queens, New York, in the summer of 1942, where they lived until 1982.

Dr. Laufer’s first position in the United States was as a chemist for Schwarz Laboratories, a consultant for the brewing industry. He stayed with the company for 46 years, retiring in 1975. He advanced to director of research, director of laboratories, and vice-president. He was in charge of the United States Brewers Academy, which was run by Schwarz Laboratories. Dr. Laufer published closed to 100 articles in the fields of food and fermentation. In 1936 he was honored with the Cincinnati Achievement Award of the Master Brewers Association of America. He is listed in American Men and Women of Science. Dr. Laufer died on October 4, 1983, in New York.

 

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The Laufer Papers consist primarily of reminiscences, miscellaneous documents from his years spent in East Galicia, World War I money, receipts and correspondence. Also included are publications pertaining to the brewing industry.

The reminiscences written by Dr. Laufer cover his early years in Bolechow and Stryj until the outbreak of World War I. A cousin of Mrs. Laufer’s, Frymka Brawer-Pordes, wrote a recollection in German about a school excursion also prior to 1914. This is an amplified version of a chapter in Memorial Book for the Martyrs of Bolechow.

Dr. Laufer’s strong interest in Zionism is represented by receipts for contributions made to various organizations and correspondence. The letters (written in German and Hebrew) are regarding possible employment in Palestine during the years 1922-1928.

Reminisces  of Stephen Laufer, written 1977-78.

Reminisces of Stephen Laufer, written 1977-78.

The papers are divided into three series.

Series I. East Galicia, consists of Dr. Laufer’s and Mrs. Brawer-Pordes’ reminiscences as well as the Bolechow memorial book. Also included are report cards from high school in Stryj; miscellaneous documents pertaining to school, army and citizenship in Polish and German; and Ukranian and Austrian money. Each category is arranged chronologically.

Series II. Palestine, contains receipts for contributions to Zionist organizations, letters from facilities in Palestine regarding employment, handbills concerning the opening of Dr. Laufer’s school in Haifa, and the plan of the ship Alesia. The arrangement in each category is chronological. 

Series III. United States, consists of some of Dr. Laufer’s publications, a bound monograph and several articles.

Posted in jewish museum of maryland




MS 215 The Eli Frank Collection of American Jewish Relief Committee Papers

Posted on March 21st, 2013 by

Sometimes differentiating between a personal collection and  institutional records can be a bit tricky.  In the case of this collection we have papers collected and compiled by an individual – Eli Frank – but the collection deals exclusively with one organization – the American Jewish Relief Committee.  So how did we handle it?  In this case it made sense to focus on the institutional nature of the collection, but indicate clearly the person who brought everything together.  And if this finding aid peaks your interest in either the person or the institution, we have more materials in our collection related to both.

The Eli Frank Collection of

American Jewish Relief Committee Papers

1919-1922

 MS 215

Jewish Museum of Maryland

ACCESS AND PROVENANCE

The Eli Frank Collection of American Jewish Relief Committee Papers was donated to the Jewish Museum of Maryland in 1983 as accessions 1983.74 by Shane D. Stiller. The collection was processed by Jennifer Vess in February 2013.

Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland.  Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection.  Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures. 

Black and white photograph of a group of orphans standing outside a barn, 1914-1919.  This photograph was used by the American Jewish Relief Committee to raise funds during World War I.  Courtesy of D.C. Liberles.  1980.29.5

Black and white photograph of a group of orphans standing outside a barn, 1914-1919. This photograph was used by the American Jewish Relief Committee to raise funds during World War I. Courtesy of D.C. Liberles. 1980.29.5

how to talk to women

HISTORICAL NOTE

The American Jewish Relief Committee was organized on October 25, 1914 in order to raise funds to help Jews particularly in Russia, Palestine and Eastern Europe who were suffering because of World War I.  The leaders of the national organization were mostly of German origin and well-to-do.  Only a month later the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee was formed to ensure that funds from the American Jewish Relief Committee, the Central Committee for the Relief of Jews Suffering Through the War, and the People’s Relief Committee to ensure that funds were distributed effectively.   Local branches of the American Jewish Relief Committee were formed throughout the United States and Canada including Baltimore.  Chairman for the Baltimore Branch included Dr. Harry Friedenwald (1916), Julius Levy (1919) and Eli Frank (1922).  Many Baltimoreans took part in the activities of the committee as members of the board or the various subcommittees or as donors.  The American Jewish Relief Committee received endorsements from nation political leaders including presidents, local political leaders and local religious leaders both Christian and Jewish.

Eli Frank, Sr. (left) and Eli Frank, Jr. (right).  Courtesy of Allina, Marcia Frank & Victoria Frank Albert.  1995.25.16.

Eli Frank, Sr. (left) and Eli Frank, Jr. (right). Courtesy of Allina, Marcia Frank & Victoria Frank Albert. 1995.25.16.

SCOPE NOTE

The Eli Frank Collection of American Jewish Relief Committee Papers contains newsletters, correspondence, invitations, reports and miscellaneous documents related to both the Baltimore branch and the national organization.  The correspondence, from September 1921 through August 1922, makes up the bulk of the collection.  The correspondence are organized chronologically and placed at the beginning of the collection.

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland




Synagogue Bulletins

Posted on November 8th, 2012 by

Today is a great day!

The Jewish Museum of Maryland has been collection synagogue bulletins for years as a resource for staff and researchers, but until today we didn't have a good way to get out the information about this collection.? We?ve had these bulletins, but it took a dedicated intern to organize 26 linear feet of material and create a detailed list of the congregations and bulletins.? This took some time but today the process was completed! This blog contains an abbreviated version of that list (which can also be found in our online collections database).? If you?re interested in more detail about which dates are included in this collection contact the archivist.

Synagogue & Congregation Bulletins of Maryland

1956-present

The Jewish Museum of Maryland

SCOPE AND CONTENT

This active collection consists primarily of Maryland synagogue and congregation bulletins, newsletters, leaflets, etc. The bulletins and newsletters are weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, and contain information about each synagogue?s and congregation?s announcements, discourses, workings, and information about each synagogue or congregation. Some of the synagogues and congregations included registries or other materials that are marked in the inventory. This is not a complete collection of all synagogues and congregations in Maryland, and not all of the bulletins are a complete run. The files are organized in alphabetical order by name of congregation, and the bulletins are organized chronologically.

Adat Chaim (Reisterstown) — May 1994 through November 2007

Agudath Israel of Baltimore (Baltimore) [The Lasson Agudah Center] — n.d, Volumes 137, 139, 143, 145-148, 150, 152, 160

Am Kolel (Rockville) –Aug 2003 through April 2005

Anshe Emunah-Aitz Chaim Congregation (Baltimore) [Liberty Jewish Center] — Apr 1963

Baltimore Hebrew Congregation (weekly) — Dec 1962 through September 2006

Baltimore Hebrew Congregation. Courtesy of Paul Schlossberg. 1984.24.2

Baltimore Jewish Cultural Chavurah (Towson) — July 2003 through September 2005

Bat Yam (Ocean City) — April 2002 through March 2011

Temple Bat Yam. Courtesy of Dianne Feldman. 2002.75.1

Beit Tikvah (Mt. Washington) — November 1978, September 1991 to 1997

B'er Chayim (Cumberland) — July 2003 through present

Beth Am (Baltimore) — July 2003 through December 2011

Beth El Congregation (Baltimore) — April 1963 through November 2006

Beth El Congregation (Bethesda) — July 2003 through present

Beth Israel Synagogue (Lexington Park) — March 1997 through March 2009

Beth Israel Congregation (Owings Mills) — April 1996 through present

Beth Israel Synagogue on Liberty Rd. Courtesy of Louis Beck. 1987.173.60

Beth Jacob Congregation (Baltimore) [weekly] — December 1961 through December 2005

Beth Shalom (Columbia) — July 2003 through March 2004

Beth Sholom Synagogue (Frederick) — July 1995 through December 2010

Beth Sholom (Potomac) — November 2003 through January 2009

Beth Tfiloh Syngagoue (Baltimore) — June 1962 through Present

Beth Tfiloh pre-school class of Mrs. Eve Marks and Mrs. Silverstein, Baltimore, December 1960. Courtesy of Eve Marks. 1995.170.1

adobe software for mac

Bethesda Jewish Congregation — November 2003

B'nai Abraham (Hagerstown) — July 2003 through March 2008

Early B'nai Abraham congregation location. 1987.137.3

B'nai Israel (Rockville) — September 2005

B'nai Shalom of Olney — September 2003 through December 2004

B'nai Tzedek (Potomac) [Jewish Congregation of Suburban MD Inc.] — January 1997 through present

Bolton Street Synagogue (Baltimore) — November 1989 through October 2010

Calah Congregation (Columbia) — January 2004 through June 2010

Chestertown Havurah — January 2004 through May 2007

Chizuk Amuno Congregation (Baltimore) — February 1956 through present

Congregation Har Shalom (Potomac) — June 2003 through present

Columbia Jewish Congregation (Columbia) — July 2003 through Sept 2004

Congregation Or Chadash (Germantown/ Damascus) — October 2003 through present

Gaithersburg Hebrew Congregation (Gaithersburg) — August 1971 through March 1973

Har Sinai Congregation (Baltimore) — May 1963 through February 2009

Jewish Community Center of Prince George County, Inc.? (Greenbelt) — July 2003 through August 2006

Kneseth Israel (Annapolis) — June 1998 through December 2001

Kneseth Israel, Annapolis, c. 1995. Courtesy of Eric Goldstein. 2001.113.22

Kol Ami (Annapolis) — August 1997 through May 2005

Nevy Shalom (Bowie) — January 2000 through August 2005

Ner Tamid Greeenspring Valley Spring Synagogue (Baltimore) — July 2003 through August 2007

Ohr Kodesh (Chevy Chase) — March 1997 through present

Oseh Shalom (Laurel) — July 2003 through May 2010

Shaarei Zion (Baltimore) — September 1961 through June 2010

Shaarei Zion at Park Heights Avenue and Hillsdale Road, n.d. 1987.137.38

Shearith Israel (Baltimore) — 1992, 2003 through present

Shearith Israel Synagogue at Park Heights Avenue and Glen Avenue. 1987.137.15Temple Emanuel, c. 1980. Courtesy of Paul Schlossberg

Shomrei Emunah (Baltimore) — July 2003 through January 2004

Temple Beth Ami (Rockville) — October 2003 through March 2009

Temple Emanuel (Baltimore) (weekly) — March 1963 through October 1968

Temple Emanuel/ Kol Kore (Kensington) — January 2004 through March 2009

Temple Emanuel (Reisterstown) — January through December 2003

Temple Isaiah (Columbia) — August 2003 through March 2007

Temple Oheb Shalom — December 1961 through present

Temple Shalom (Chevy Chase) — July 2003 through September 2006

Temple Solel (Bowie) — April 1998 through present

Tikvat Israel Congregation (Rockville) — July 2003 through June 2012

Winands Road Synagogue Center (Randallstown) — July 2003 through present

Winands Road Synagogue Center, c. 1980. Courtesy of Paul Schlossberg. 1994.24.33

windows antivirus software

Young Israel of White Oak (Silver Spring) — through present

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,