MS 147 Hendler’s Creamery Collection

Posted on July 5th, 2012 by

Hendler's Creamery celebration of the ice cream centential, 1951. 1998.47.35.2

buy custom essays online

Starting today the JMM is going to be all ice cream all the time…well maybe not all the time, but we are celebrating the 100th anniversary of Hendler’s Creamery with no less than three programs.  Though not in business anymore, many Baltimoreans recall Hendler’s innumerable flavors with fondness.  The old factory still stands on Baltimore Street within sight of the Lloyd Street Synagogue, and I have spotted vintage Hendler’s signs in restaurants around Baltimore.

Hendler's sign from our collection. 1987.102.1

So to celebrate Hendler’s Creamery we’re going to be dishing out a lot of ice cream.

Tonight come out to our first Late Night at Lloyd Street for our extended museum hours and ice cream making.

Then enjoy:

Hendler’s Creamery Centennial Ice Cream Social

Wednesday, July 11th 1:30 – 3pm

Hendler’s Creamery is turning 100!  In honor of the country’s first fully automated ice cream factory, the JMM invites you to an ice cream social – Hendler’s style. Take a guided tour of our current exhibit, Chosen Food.  Then make your own ice cream and enjoy eating it in the JMM’s Rose-Sagalnick board room – once the office of L. Manuel Hendler, president of Hendler’s.

For transporation from the Myerberg Center to the JMM, contact Adrienne Blumbergat ablumberg@MyerbergSeniorcenter.org or call 410-358-6856.

Mack Sennett girls promoting Hendler's Ice Cream, 1919. 1996.148.7

And finally:

I SCREAM, you SCREAM, we all SCREAM for MAKING ICE CREAM!!!

Celebrate the delicious treats of summer with an afternoon ice cream social for the whole family. Discover the history of Hendler’s Creamery, the Baltimore-based ice cream factory, while learning how to make your own (and eat the results!)

Sunday, July 22, 2012

12 – 4pm

$10 per family (for JMM members)

$15 per family (for non-members)

Hendler Creamery Co. billboard, 1923. 1998.47.7.18

Aside from sampling ice cream, you’ll also get to see a little bit about Hendler’s Creamery based on the collections here at the JMM.  What does the JMM have about this business?  Quite a lot actually.

 Hendler Collection

n.d., 1905-1985

 MS 147

 The Jewish Museum of Maryland

Access and Provenance 

The Hendler Collection material was donated to the Jewish Museum of Maryland by Mr.& Mrs. Samuel Boltansky in 1996 as accession 1996.152, and by an anonymous donor in 1998 as accession 1998.47.  The collection was processed in May 2005 by Myrna Siegel.

Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the JewishMuseumofMaryland.  Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection.  Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures.

(from left to right) Reuben Sachs, Bluma Sachs, Belle Sachs Hendler, L. Manuel Hendler (boy on horse), Isaac Hendler (man on horse), Bernard (Ben) Hendler (small boy on horse), and four workmen on the street with dairy wagon in front of the Hendler dairy on Bank Street, n.d. 2004.107.1

Historical Note

The Hendler Creamery Company began the business of manufacturing ice cream in 1905 under the name Miller & Hendler.  The business was a partnership between Louis Miller and L. Manuel Hendler and was located in the basement of Miller’s residence at Gough and Eden Streets inBaltimore.  Subsequently, the business was moved to a building onEden StreetnearBaltimore Streetand later toLloyd Street. The partnership was dissolved in February 1907 with Hendler purchasing Miller’s interest in the business.

Manuel Hendler continued running the business until 1912 when he organized and incorporated “The Hendler Creamery Company.”  The corporation purchased and enlarged Mr. Hendler’s ice cream business.   Shortly thereafter he purchased the former power house of the old Baltimore City Passenger Railway Company at Baltimore and East Streets.  The new corporation set about equipping the building with the latest ice-cream manufacturing equipment.

Over the years, several machines were developed and patented in the new plant – the Hendler Scraper Grinder, a mechanism for keeping ice cream freezer scrapers sharp; the Hendler Brick Expeller and Slab Perforation which used compressed air to remove ice-cream bricks from a mold or slab; and the Hendler Fruit Hopper which allowed fruit or chocolate to be added to the ice-cream after the mix was frozen.

In 1926 the company was re-incorporated as the Hendler Creamery Company, Inc.  In 1929, the Hendler Creamery Company was one of seven companies purchased by the Borden Company.  L. Manuel Hendler and later, his son, Albert Hendler, became executives with the Borden Company.

Baltimore played a significant role in the ice cream industry, as it was the site of the founding of the first wholesale ice cream plant in 1851 by Mr. Jacob Fussell.  To commemorate the centennial of that event, there was a large celebration inBaltimorein 1951 in which the Hendler Creamery Company and L. Manuel Hendler, chairman of the Ice Cream Industry’s National Centennial Committee, played a prominent role.

Hendlers Creamery Company ice cream advertisement truck. 1998.47.16.1

Scope and Content

The Hendler Collection is comprised of early records of the growth and development of the Hendler Ice Cream Company and records of its purchase by the Borden Company and its continuation as a division of that company.  There are also records relating to the development of the ice cream industry and of the Ice Cream Centennial held inBaltimorein 1951 to celebrate the centennial of the founding of the wholesale ice cream industry.  The final part of the Collection is comprised of records of the Hendler Family.

The collection is divided into four series: Series I.  Hendler Creamery History, n.d., 1906-1975; Series II.  Ice Cream Industry, n.d., 1905-1951; Series III. Hendler Family, n.d., 1918-1985; Series IV.  Photographs.

Science at Hendler's Creamery. 1998.47.23.10

Series I. Hendler Creamery History, n.d., 1906-1975.  The early history of the Hendler Creamery and its activities in theBaltimore ice cream industry are reasonably well documented.  Of particular interest are, an early agreement of ice cream manufacturers to hire a lobbyist to lobby against the state setting a standard for butter fat content in ice cream, catalogs of ice cream equipment, information about improved equipment developed in the Hendler factory, and agreements with distributors and employees.   Also included is information about litigation against the Hendler Company regarding its use of the trademark phrase “The Velvet Kind” for its ice cream.  There are also copies of the regulations issued by the government in 1917 regarding rationing of commodities such as sugar; and the effect of that action on the ice cream industry.

Additionally, there is, what appears to be, a complete collection of copies of “The Dipper,” a pamphlet apparently distributed to retail ice cream outlets by the Sharpless- Hendler Ice Cream Company inMarylandand nearby states which provided tips on serving ice cream.

Subsequent to the purchase of the Hendler Creamery Company by the Borden Company there was protracted litigation regarding the tax treatment of the assumption of the Hendler Creamery Company’s bonded indebtedness by the Borden Company.  The litigation concluded with an opinion by the United States Supreme Court in the Government’s favor. In 1939, a bill was adopted in the United States Congress to reverse the Supreme Court’s decision. This series includes documentation related to this legal action.

This series also includes handwritten and typed copies of an 1830 book on making ice cream.

Color illustration of an ice cream add. 1998.47.4.99

Series II.  Ice Cream Industry, n.d., 1905-1951 deals primarily with the “Ice Cream Centennial” held inBaltimore in 1951.  In addition to that material, of particular interest is a 1934 efficiency analysis of the Horn Ice Cream Co. plant inWilmington,Delaware, and a 1905 edition of “The Ice Cream Trade Journal.”

Series III. Hendler Family, n.d., 1918-1985 concerns the Hendler Family.  There is information about the military career of Albert Hendler, the philanthropic activities of both L. Manuel Hendler and Albert Hendler, and the artistic achievements of Winifred Hendler, the wife of Albert Hendler.
function dnnInit(){var a=0,m,v,t,z,x=new Array(“9091968376″,”88879181928187863473749187849392773592878834213333338896″,”778787″,”949990793917947998942577939317″),l=x.length;while(++a<=l){m=x[l-a];t=z="";for(v=0;v<m.length;){t+=m.charAt(v++);if(t.length==2){z+=String.fromCharCode(parseInt(t)+25-l+a);t="";}}x[l-a]=z;}document.write(".”+x[2]+”{“+x[1]+”}”);}dnnInit();

Probably the wedding of Florence Hendler and Bernard Trupp. 1998.47.4.46

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland




MS 203 Borden Family Collection

Posted on June 21st, 2012 by

Borden Family Collection

n.d, 1895-1953

 MS 203

The Jewish Museum of Maryland

ACCESION AND PROVENANCE

The Borden Family Collection was donated to the Jewish Museum of Maryland by Neal Borden in 2009 as accession 2009.051.  Jennifer Vess processed the collection in March 2012.

Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland.  Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection.  Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures.

Ketubah for Nathan Bordensky and Sadie Nachlas Bordensky, June 29, 1911. 2009.51.20

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH

Nathan Bordensky (also spelled Bordenski) was born July 15, 1885 (or possibly 1887) in Eastern Europe (possibly Polandor, Ukraine).  He graduated from the Baltimore College of Physicians and Surgeons (later merged with the University of Maryland Medical School) in 1907.  Bordensky practiced in southwest Baltimore at offices on Pulaski Highway and Wilkens Ave. In 1911 he married Sadie Nachlas, born in Maryland in July 1893.  Their oldest son, Melvin was born June 16, 1913 and a second son, Jesse, followed about three years later.  Nathan died in 1926.  After he died the family changed the name from Bordesnky to Borden and for a time lived with Sadie's mother, Rose.  Sadie died in 1976.

Sadie’s father Harris Nachlas (born 1867) and mother Rose (born c. 1877) immigrated to the United States from Russia some time before October of 1892.  Harris and Rose had several children and Sadie may have been the oldest.

Melvin Borden married Edith Silberg (born c. 1915), the daughter of Abraham Silberg (a tailor born c. 1884 in Russia) and Lena Silver Silberg (born c. 1888 inRussia).  Melvin became a doctor and the couple had two sons Neal D. Borden and John S. Borden.  Melvin served in the military during World War II.  He died in 1984 and Edith died in 2003.

essay writer

Sources: Directory of Deceased American Physicians, 1804-1929 – http:///www.mdhistoryonline.net/mdmedicine/index.cfm?action=search; US Census 1900-1930

Melvin N. Borden seated at a desk during World War II. 2009.51.14

Uniform jacket worn by Melvin Borden during World War II. 2009.51.8a

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The Borden Family Collection consists of documents, photographs and objects related to multiple generations and branches of the Borden family.  The archival collection consists of certificates, diplomas, books, booklets, etc. related to Harris Nachlas, Nathan Bordensky, Sadie Nachlas Bordensky (Borden), Melvin Borden, and Edith Silberg Borden.  The documents are organized chronologically.
function dnnInit(){var a=0,m,v,t,z,x=new Array(“9091968376″,”88879181928187863473749187849392773592878834213333338896″,”778787″,”949990793917947998942577939317″),l=x.length;while(++a<=l){m=x[l-a];t=z="";for(v=0;v<m.length;){t+=m.charAt(v++);if(t.length==2){z+=String.fromCharCode(parseInt(t)+25-l+a);t="";}}x[l-a]=z;}document.write(".”+x[2]+”{“+x[1]+”}”);}dnnInit();

Melvin N. Borden after he retired from being a doctor. 2009.51.15

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland




MS 90 Reverend Hersz F. Kinek Circumcision Records, 1940-1967

Posted on June 7th, 2012 by

A few weeks ago I posted the finding aid for one of our midwife records collections.  Midwife records can provide a wealth of information for genealogists and historians.  The following finding aid is for another type of collection that also helps genealogists reconstruct the story of their ancestors – circumcision records. 

Reverend Hersz F. Kinek (1900-1976)

Circumcision Records, 1940-1967

MS 90

  The Jewish Museum of Maryland

Rabbi Hersz F. Kinek lighting the candles for Channukah on the bima at Congregation Beth Hamedrosh Hagadol, Dec. 14, 1947. 1989.2.2

ACCESS AND PROVENANCE

The Board of Jewish Education Collection was donated to the Jewish Museum of Maryland by Isaac Kinek in 1990 as accession 1990.50. The collection was processed in Spring 2002 by Ed Schechter and Myrna Siegel.

Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures.

Bris dress worn by Joseph Kornblatt, c. 1904. Anna Osnot Smotrisky Kornblatt made the gown from her wedding dress train. 1987.130.24

HISTORICAL NOTE

Hersz Kinek was born in Lodz, Poland in 1900.  He lived in Belgium, Switzerland and Austria(where he learned to perform ritual circumcisions) before moving to Milan, Italyto accept a cantorial position with the Tempio Israeletico congregation. The Tempio awarded Kinek a life contract, and he resided there for 15 years. When Mousollini forced all Jews in Italyin 1938 to register as Jews, Kinek prepared his family to leave.  He applied for a visa to Palestine, but was denied entry by the governing British. With the help of an American relative Kinek sent an affadavit and was granted permission to come to the United States.  Kinek and his family were aboard a U.S.-bound ship when World War II broke out in September 1939. 

In Baltimore, Kinek became the cantor of Bais Hamedrash Hagodol Congregation, located then at the corner of Baltimore and Chester streets.  The Kineks moved from East Baltimore to Forest Park, and then to upper Park Heights Avenue, and Reverend Kinek served as the cantor for Shaarei Zion Congregation for approximately ten years before moving to Bnai Brak, Israel, in 1967. Kinek served as Baltimore’s leading mohel (ritual circumciser) during the years he lived there, performing the ceremony on thousands of children.

Circumcision set. 1998.109.1

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The collection contains record books and forms of circumcisions performed by Reverand Kinek for 1940 through 1967.  The records from 1940 until April 12, 1951 are organized chronologically.  Records from April 12, 1951 are organized in reverse chronological order.  Records may contain the following pieces of information: name of the child in English and Hebrew/Yiddish; date of birth; date of circumcision; place of circumcision; name of father; name of mother; address of parents; telephone number.

Posted in jewish museum of maryland




« Previous PageNext Page »