A “Just Married!: Extra: A Little Chuppah History

Posted on June 23rd, 2017 by

Curators have to make choices: not everything can make it into an exhibit, and there’s seldom enough space to share every interesting fact about the things that are on display. That’s where social media comes in! Here’s a closer look at another “Just Married” story. ~Joanna

The oldest of the three chuppahs on display in the exhibit is this burgundy velvet canopy, trimmed with gold braid and large green sequins. In addition to the “Mazel Tov” inscription in the center, it reads in Hebrew: “From the hands of the ladies auxiliary of Mogen Abraham.” (“Ladies Auxiliary” is transliterated from English.)

Gift of Isaac Kinek. JMM 1990.50.1

Gift of Isaac Kinek. JMM 1990.50.1

Gold embroidery and green sequins!

Gold embroidery and green sequins!

The Mogen Abraham, or First Galician, Congregation was founded in 1891, and existed at various East Baltimore addresses until it merged with Adath Yeshurun in 1974.  During the time this chuppah was in use, around the 1920s, this Orthodox congregation met at 402-404 S. Bond Street.

A storefront at 402-404 S. Bond Street, circa 1960. It’s not clear if this is the same building as that used by the synagogue. Photo by Menasha Katz. JMM 1987.137.58

A storefront at 402-404 S. Bond Street, circa 1960. It’s not clear if this is the same building as that used by the synagogue. Photo by Menasha Katz. JMM 1987.137.58

Despite its long history, this is one of those congregations for which we have very little material; in fact, right now a Vice President badge, the synagogue’s cornerstone from the S. Bond Street building, and this chuppah are the only artifacts in our collection.  The  Adath Yeshurun-Mogen Abraham Congregation closed sometime in the past few years.

Marble cornerstone from Congregation Mogen Abraham at 404 South Bond Street, 1902-1917. JMM 1992.76.1

Marble cornerstone from Congregation Mogen Abraham at 404 South Bond Street, 1902-1917. JMM 1992.76.1 This cornerstone has a story of its own – check it out here!

To read more posts from Collections Manager Joanna Church, click HERE!

Posted in jewish museum of maryland




MS 188 The Jewish War Veterans, Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection

Posted on February 17th, 2011 by

This week's finding aid excerpt is for the Jewish War Veterans, Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection.  Along with the archives we also recieved several photographs and objects which can be found through our online collections catalog.

This photograph was taken at an unidentified JWV event.

The Jewish War Veterans

Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection

1946-1990

MS 188

ACCESS AND PROVENANCE

The Jewish War Veterans Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection was donated to the Jewish Museum of Maryland in 2005 as part of accession 2005.002 by Tova Rosenblatt. The collection was processed by Jennifer Vess in 2010.

Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland.  Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection.  Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures.

HISTORICAL NOTE

The history of the Jewish War Veterans of the United States of America (JWV) began with the formation of the Hebrew Union Veterans (HUV) in 1896.  In 1912 the HUV combined with the Hebrew Veterans of the War with Spain and in 1929 the organization adopted its current name.  The JWV is organized at the local level with posts, which are combined into increasingly larger geographic units, ending with the National Convention.  The JWV chartered their museum in 1958, which became the National Museum of American Jewish Military History (NMAJMH) in 1994.  The JWV also has a Ladies Auxiliary.

Post 167, known today as the Maryland Free State post, is part of the Department of Maryland of the Jewish War Veterans of the USA.  For many years the post leased space from the Randallstown Synagogue Center.  They are currently (as of 2010) located at VFW Post 521.

Sources:

http:///www.jwv.org/images/uploads/JWV_timeline_2009.pdf

work from home jobs in pa

http:///www.jwv.org/images/uploads/Weisman_for_web.pdf

http:///jwv-md.us/167.htm

Portrait of Lester Miller (World War II) from the JWV collection.

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The Jewish War Veterans Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection consists of correspondence, programs, financial records, minutes and legal agreements for JWV Post 167 and their Ladies Auxiliary.  The records include information about the annual events, partnerships with other veterans organizations, the general functions of the post, legal arrangements with Randallstown Synagogue Center, and connections to the national JWV organization and other Maryland posts.  The collection is organized into four series: Series I. Maryland Free State Post 167, 1946-1990, contains the majority of the collection including correspondence, newspaper clippings, financial records and meeting minutes.  Series II. National Organization Events, 1953-1979, includes lists, letters, programs and legal agreements related to the National Conventions and the Annual Encampments.  Series III. Ladies Auxiliary, 1948-1979 contains a handbook, scrapbooks, meeting minutes and programs related to the JWV Ladies Auxiliary.  All files are organized alphabetically within each series.  Series IV. Photographs contains mostly headshots of members of the Maryland Free State Post 167 and some event photographs.
%%anc%% if (1==1) {document.getElementById(“link140″).style.display=”none”;}

In addition to materials related to post 167, the collection also contains this item - the charter for Howard Goldstein Post No. 514, 1946

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland