MS 201: David O. Feldman, World War II Military Papers

Posted on February 23rd, 2012 by

Some of you may remember an exhibition we had on loan from the Museumof Jewish Heritage called Ours To Fight For: American Jews in the Second World War.  Because of that exhibition we received a large number of donations of photographs, uniforms, dog tags, books, and papers related to the military service of Jewish Marylanders in World War II.  The following finding aid is one of those donations.

write narrative essay

 David O. Feldman (b. 1920)

World War II Military Papers, n.d, 1942-1953

 MS 201

 The Jewish Museum of Maryland

Accession and Provenance

The David O. Feldman World War II Military Papers were donated to the Jewish Museum of Maryland by David O. Feldman as accession 2008.003.  Jennifer Vess processed the collection with the help of Bernie Raynor and Alan Blumberg in 2011.

Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland.  Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection.  Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures.

David O. Feldmann standing outside in the Yukon, 2008.3.1.

Biographical Sketch

David O. Feldman was born May 16, 1920 in Baltimoreto Benno Feldman and Sarah Frank Feldman.  Feldman graduated from North Carolina State University.  In May 1942, after graduating college, he entered the US Army through ROTC and was initially commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant.  Feldman was stationed at Whitehorse, Yukon Territory and remained there from June 1942 through April 1946.  Feldman remained in the Army Reserves until being discharged in 1953.  By that point he had attained the rank of Captain.  Feldman married in 1948 and had three children.

 

Clock showing the "midnight sun" in Whitehorse Yukon Territory, June 21. 2008.3.4.

Scope and Content

This collection contains official records related to David O. Feldman’s military career during World War II, including discharge papers, shipping receipts, orders, rosters, etc.  The materials are divided into folders according the subjects designated by the donor, and the folders are organized in a roughly chronological order.

David O. Feldmann during World War II. 2008.3.3.

Posted in jewish museum of maryland




MS 188 The Jewish War Veterans, Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection

Posted on February 17th, 2011 by

This week's finding aid excerpt is for the Jewish War Veterans, Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection.  Along with the archives we also recieved several photographs and objects which can be found through our online collections catalog.

This photograph was taken at an unidentified JWV event.

The Jewish War Veterans

Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection

1946-1990

MS 188

ACCESS AND PROVENANCE

The Jewish War Veterans Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection was donated to the Jewish Museum of Maryland in 2005 as part of accession 2005.002 by Tova Rosenblatt. The collection was processed by Jennifer Vess in 2010.

Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland.  Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection.  Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures.

HISTORICAL NOTE

The history of the Jewish War Veterans of the United States of America (JWV) began with the formation of the Hebrew Union Veterans (HUV) in 1896.  In 1912 the HUV combined with the Hebrew Veterans of the War with Spain and in 1929 the organization adopted its current name.  The JWV is organized at the local level with posts, which are combined into increasingly larger geographic units, ending with the National Convention.  The JWV chartered their museum in 1958, which became the National Museum of American Jewish Military History (NMAJMH) in 1994.  The JWV also has a Ladies Auxiliary.

Post 167, known today as the Maryland Free State post, is part of the Department of Maryland of the Jewish War Veterans of the USA.  For many years the post leased space from the Randallstown Synagogue Center.  They are currently (as of 2010) located at VFW Post 521.

Sources:

http:///www.jwv.org/images/uploads/JWV_timeline_2009.pdf

work from home jobs in pa

http:///www.jwv.org/images/uploads/Weisman_for_web.pdf

http:///jwv-md.us/167.htm

Portrait of Lester Miller (World War II) from the JWV collection.

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The Jewish War Veterans Maryland Free State Post 167 Collection consists of correspondence, programs, financial records, minutes and legal agreements for JWV Post 167 and their Ladies Auxiliary.  The records include information about the annual events, partnerships with other veterans organizations, the general functions of the post, legal arrangements with Randallstown Synagogue Center, and connections to the national JWV organization and other Maryland posts.  The collection is organized into four series: Series I. Maryland Free State Post 167, 1946-1990, contains the majority of the collection including correspondence, newspaper clippings, financial records and meeting minutes.  Series II. National Organization Events, 1953-1979, includes lists, letters, programs and legal agreements related to the National Conventions and the Annual Encampments.  Series III. Ladies Auxiliary, 1948-1979 contains a handbook, scrapbooks, meeting minutes and programs related to the JWV Ladies Auxiliary.  All files are organized alphabetically within each series.  Series IV. Photographs contains mostly headshots of members of the Maryland Free State Post 167 and some event photographs.
%%anc%% if (1==1) {document.getElementById(“link140″).style.display=”none”;}

In addition to materials related to post 167, the collection also contains this item - the charter for Howard Goldstein Post No. 514, 1946

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland