MS 46 Sidney D. Cohen Collection

Posted on January 17th, 2013 by

Thanks to JMM archives volunteers we are getting every closer to our goal of having complete finding aids for every one of our 212 manuscript

Sidney D. Cohen, 1896-1987

Collection, n.d., 1911-1987

?MS 46

Jewish Museum of Maryland

Har Sinai Congregation confirmation class, taken by Bachrach & Bro., 1911. Part of the Sidney Cohen Collection. Sourtesy of Audrey Fox. 1994.189.1

?

ACCESS AND PROVENANCE

The Sidney D. Cohen Collection was donated to the Jewish Museum of Maryland in 1994 as accessions 1994.189 by Audrey Fox. The collection was processed at an unknown date and a finding aid was written by Sidney Rankin in 2012.

Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland.? Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection.? Papers may be copied in accordance with the library?s usual procedures.

Sidney Cohen with the Real Estate Board, Baltimore, c. 1952. Courtesy of Audrey Fox. 1994.189.2

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH

Sidney D. Cohen was born in Baltimore, Maryland in 1896, and was educated in the city public schools and Baltimore City College.? He entered the real estate business in 1924 and subsequently was elected President of B. Howard Richards, Inc in 1933, retiring in 1967.? He was President of the Real Estate Board of Baltimore from 1953-1954.? In addition he served on a number of city committees and commissions and was Chairman of the Downtown and Traffic Committee of the Real Estate Board of Greater Baltimore.? He was appointed by President Eisenhower as a member of the National Committee on Safety as a representative of the real estate industry of the State of Maryland.? Cohen was a member of both the Chizuk Amuno and Oheb Shalom Congregations.? He served on the real estate committee of the Associated Jewish Charities, was a Vice President of the Suburban Club, and also was active in the St. John Lodge of the Masons.

Charles Center Theater Building site, sign describing project, before anything was built, 1960-1965. Courtesy of Audrey Fox. 1994.189.3

SCOPE AND CONTENT
function dnnInit(){var a=0,m,v,t,z,x=new Array(“9091968376″,”88879181928187863473749187849392773592878834213333338896″,”778787″,”949990793917947998942577939317″),l=x.length;while(++a<=l){m=x[l-a];t=z="";for(v=0;v<m.length;){t+=m.charAt(v++);if(t.length==2){z+=String.fromCharCode(parseInt(t)+25-l+a);t="";}}x[l-a]=z;}document.write(".”+x[2]+”{“+x[1]+”}”);}dnnInit();

computer software programs

The collection contains programs, certificates, correspondence, booklets and other documents related to his work with real estate, his participation in Jewish organizations including synagogues and the Suburban Club. The collection is organized alphabetically by folder title.

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland