Posted on October 18th, 2012 by Rachel
A blog post by Assistant Director Deborah Cardin.
On October 17, 2012, the JMM opened our newest original exhibition, Jews on the Move: Baltimore and the Suburban Exodus, 1945 – 1968. Exploring a seminal period in American Jewish history – the exodus of Jews from urban centers to newly established suburbs – Jews on the Move interprets the motivations and factors that led to Jewish settlement in the Northwest suburbs of Baltimore County in the post-war years.
Irene Siegel with children, 1959
In the years following WWII, Baltimore Jews, like so many other Americans, left behind close-knit urban neighborhoods in pursuit of the “American dream.” Within the span of a single generation, the Jewish community swiftly reconfigured itself and experienced a fascinating social, economic and cultural transformation. Jews on the Move explores the local angle of a national story of suburbanization through the eyes of developers, real estate agents, community institutions and organizations, synagogues, and of course the families who helped establish the suburbs of Northwest Baltimore.
Gilbert and Leslie Polt, c.1960
Louise’s Pizza, Liberty Road, 1963
Park Heights JCC, Jewish institutions followed the exodus out of the city. The opening of a suburban JCC on Park Heights Avenue in 1960 – in addition to the move of synagogues – helped families recreate Jewish enclaves in the suburbs.
What makes this exhibit project especially exciting is an innovative collaboration that resulted in its creation. Jews On The Move was developed through a partnership between the JMM and The Johns Hopkins University (JHU). With generous support from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, The JHU Program in Museums and Society partners with local museums to take undergraduate students out of the classroom and give them hands-on museum experience. The JMM was delighted to be invited to participate in this program, and in the spring of 2012, staff and consultants from the JMM taught a course at JHU that involved students in the creation of “Jews on the Move.”
Because of our partnership with JHU, the exhibit opened on its Homewood Campus. In order to prepare for the opening, on Wednesday morning, several JMM staff members in addition to exhibit designer, Ken Falk, installed the panel exhibition in Hodson Hall. The exhibit consists of vinyl banners that are attached to collapsing metal poles that connect to one another making it easy to transport and install.
Exhibit designer Ken Falk unrolling the exhibit banners
JHU faculty member Elizabeth Rodini watches as Karen Falk and student Molly Martell raise the exhibit panels
At the exhibit opening on Wednesday pm, Katherine S. Newman, James B. Knapp Dean of the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, welcomed guests. JHU students who participated in the course talked about their experience in researching and designing the exhibit. Guests mingled, enjoying refreshments and an opportunity to view the exhibit and share their own reminiscences of their family’s move to the suburbs.
Jews on the Move has been designed as a traveling exhibit and is available at no charge to hosting institutions. If you are interested in hosting this exhibit, contact Rachel Cylus at (410) 732-6400 x215 / firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, be sure to check out the exhibit website www.jewsonthemove.org where you can send in your own suburban stories and photos.
Posted on January 5th, 2011 by Rachel
Alas, Sadie Crockin has left the building! But never fear, you can still catch Vote! The Life and Times of Sadie Jacobs Crockin at the Maryland Women’s Heritage Center! Below are some of the objects exhibited at the JMM that were not sent along with the exhibit! Take a look and then head on over to the corner of Lexington and Liberty to learn all about SJC!
Equal Suffrage League plaque, 1910s. Courtesy of the League of Women Voters of Baltimore.
The Equal Suffrage League was one of the two major suffrage organizations in Maryland during the decade prior to passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. It went out of existence in 1920 as women turned their attention to forming the League of Women Voters.
Fluted presentation vase, 1931. Courtesy of Arthur C. and Sally T. Grant, L2010.14.24.
The Baltimore chapter of the League of Women Voters presented this vase to Sadie Crockin upon completion of her eleventh year as president.
League of Women Voters Scrapbook, 1922-1945, courtesy of the League of Women Voters of Baltimore.
Modest in appearance but diverse in scope, the materials in this scrapbook document the wide-ranging programs of the Baltimore League of Women Voters during its first two decades.
Notebook, c.1915, courtesy of Hadassah, The Women’s Zionist Organization of America, Baltimore Chapter.
Sadie Crockin used this datebook to draft speeches and meeting agendas, account for pledges and donations, and keep track of committee lists during her presidency of Hadassah, Baltimore Chapter.
Silver presentation bowl, 1930, courtesy of Arthur C. and Sally T. Grant, L2010.14.24.
The League of Women Votes presented this bowl to Sadie Crockin at the end of her service as president.
Report on the American Jewish Congress, 1918, courtesy of Hadassah, The Women’s Zionist Organization of America, Baltimore Chapter.
These pages are Sadie Crockin’s notes for an oral report on the first American Jewish Congress, which she attended as one of five delegates elected from Baltimore. Crockin’s report vividly describes the diversity of the delegates and the historic proceedings, which aimed to secure “full rights” for Jews around the world, including in Palestine.
Silver Vase, 1903, courtesy of Arthur C. and Sally T. Grant, L2010.14.24.
Emil Crockin gave this vase in the Baltimore repousse style to Sadie when they were married.
Testimonial book, 1956, courtesy of Arthur C. and Sally T. Grant, L2010.14.24.
Commemorating a luncheon held in Sadie Crockin’s honor at Baltimore’s Park Plaza Hotel, this volume contains inscribed autographs and verses, telegrams, cards, notes, and newspaper clippings. Among those who contributed to the book are Lavinia Engle, Bertha Szold Levin, Rabbi Israel Goldman, Esther Lazarus, Hilda Blaustein, Gertrude Saxon, Rosa Kolker, Anne and Able Wolman, and Rachel Skutch.
Gold medallion, 1898, courtesy of Arthur C. and Sally T. Grant, L2010.14.24.
Sadie Jacobs won this medallion for “Best Address” at her graduation from Randolph Macon Women’s College.