MS 165 The Business and Professional Women’s Group, Baltimore Chapter of Hadassah, Papers, 1937-1976

Posted on March 10th, 2011 by

We don't have spectacular images to go along with this collection, but I was drawn into the story of the group and how it got started.  I just had to share!

Business and Professional Women’s Group,

Baltimore Chapter of Hadassah Papers

1937-1976

 MS 165

ACCESS AND PROVENANCE

The Business and Professional Women’s Group, Baltimore Chapter of Hadassah Papers were given to the Jewish Historical Society of Maryland on August 13, 1986 as accession 1986.077 by Julia Kaplan on behalf of the Business & Professional Women’s Group of the Baltimore Chapter of Hadassah. Jonathan Roscoe processed the collection in February 2007 with assistance from Vera Kestenberg.

 Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland.  Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection.  Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures.

HISTORICAL SKETCH

Hadassah, the Women’s ZioNist Organization of America, was founded as a volunteer women’s organization by Baltimorean Henrietta Szold in 1912. The first activities of Hadassah centered on providing medical aid to Israel (then Palestine).  During World War II Hadassah assisted in bringing children from Europe to Palestine.  Hadassah continued to expand its services and initiatives into multiple aspects of America life and in Israel.  Hadassah is now an international organization and the Baltimore chapter is still active today.
%%anc%% if (1==1) {document.getElementById(“link140″).style.display=”none”;}

The Business & Professional Women’s Group of the Baltimore Chapter of Hadassah was formed in 1920 by Bertha Szold Levin (Henrietta’s sister).  The members of the Baltimore Chapter of Hadassah met the fourth Monday of every month at one o’clock in the afternoon, which prevented working women from participating.  The Business & Professional Women’s Group was created to allow working women to take part in Hadassah by meeting in the evenings and eventually on Sundays.  The minutes from the early years of the organization were disposed of by the family of the original secretary after her death.  The organization was under the Baltimore chapter of Hadassah, but was financially self-supporting.  The organization is still in existence, but its membership is decreasing.  (Information provided by Betty Seidel)

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The Business and Professional Women’s Group, Baltimore Chapter of Hadassah Papers contain two types of documents.  The first series consists of Meeting Minutes for the Business & Professional Women’s Group of the Baltimore Chapter of Hadassah. The second series contains copies of the Shoppers’ Guide & Directory produced by the Baltimore Chapter of Hadassah. The Directories list members of Hadassah along with their telephone numbers and addresses. The books also include advertisements from local charities and businesses.

Series I. Meeting Minutes, 1937-1974

Meeting Minutes for Business & Professional Women’s Group of the Baltimore Chapter of Hadassah. The minutes cover the board meetings and the general meetings.  Minutes are typed and handwritten.

Series II. Shoppers’ Guides and Directories, 1961-1976

The printed copies of the Shoppers’ Guide and Directory date from 1961 to 1976 with only 1969 missing.

work at home opportunities

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland




MS 21 League Chapter of Labor Zionist Organization of America (LZOA)

Posted on January 6th, 2011 by

This collection while one of our earlier manuscript collections, was not fully processed until recently.  Past archivists had placed the papers into the requisite pH neutral folders and boxes and removed the staples and paperclips.  Someone had also handwritten an inventory of the folders, but no one had written up a finding aid, which provides the basic historical and content information that helps researches find the materials they need.  This collection also came with several objects pictured below.

essay writing

Stamp used by the LZOA, 2007.48.2

 League Chapter of Labor Zionist Organization of America (LZOA) Records, 1945-1991

 MS 21

 The Jewish Museum of Maryland

 ACCESS AND PROVENANCE

 The League Chapter of Labor Zionist Organization of American Records was found in the collection (FIC) of the Jewish Museum of Maryland. The Manuscript Collection was given the accession number 2007.048 in 2007. The collection was processed by Jen Pollack in August 2007.

Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland.  Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection.  Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures.

 HISTORICAL NOTE

 The Labor Zionist Organization of America-Poale Zion (LZOA) was founded in 1905 and held its first convention in Baltimore.  The national mission of the organization was to support the establishment of Israel.  Once Israel became a county in 1948, the LZOA became active in continuing to support the growth of Israel.  One of the main campaigns that came out of Labor Zionism in America was the Histadrut campaign, which sent money to border settlements in Israel, assisted new immigrants, and financed the development of Israel.  As well as helping to support Israel, this Zionist movement supported the labor movement from the belief in economic and social equality in Israel, America and the world.  It was active in funding and establishing of kibbutzim.

In the early 1970s the Labor Zionist Organization of America-Poale Zion merged with two other labor Zionist organizations – Farband, a labor Zionist fraternal order, and the American Habonim Association, a labor Zionist youth organization.  These three groups became known as the Labor Zionist Alliance.  The newly formed Alliance continued to work for progress in Israel and in 2004 changed its name to Ameinu.

The League Chapter (the Baltimore chapter) of the Labor Zionist Organization of America began in 1945.  When formed, the group called itself the Zionist Guild, but by the end of 1946 its name was changed to League Chapter of the LZOA. While the chapter itself did not begin until 1946, labor Zionist activities had begun much earlier.  The founder of the national organization, Dr. Herman Seidel, a Baltimorean, worked to spread the Labor Zionist viewpoint in Baltimore and throughout the United States. In 1934 Jacob Janofsky allowed labor Zionists to use his land as a training farm so that young people could learn agricultural skills to take with them to Israel.  Camp Gordonia, which was also a labor Zionist camp, was formed in 1935 but soon merged with Habonim in 1938.  All of these activities predated the League Chapter’s official founding date of 1945.

In the mid 1950s, the League Chapter changed its name to League for Israel.  The Labor Zionist Alliance, and now Ameinu, maintains an office in the city of Baltimore.

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The League Chapter of Labor Zionist Organization of America (LZOA) Collection contains materials relating to their organizational structure. The collection contains meeting minutes, the constitution and by laws for the organization, event programs and promotional materials, and campaign materials. These records span between the Organization’s founding in 1945 and end in 1991.

custom writing service

This pin came in with the LZOA collection, 2007.48.1

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland




« Previous Page