Lloyd Street Synagogue
The Lloyd Street Synagogue was built in 1845 by the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation. It was the first synagogue erected in Maryland, and today it is the third-oldest standing synagogue in the U.S. The Synagogue was restored in 1963-65. Recent archaeological and architectural discoveries, including the original 1845 mikveh (ritual bath), are accessible to Museum visitors.
Noted Baltimore architect Robert Cary Long, Jr. designed the Lloyd Street Synagogue in Greek Revival style. In 1861, the original building was enlarged by architect William H. Reasin, keeping its original classical style in the sanctuary and exterior façade. For more than a century, the building was used as a house of worship, study, and assembly by three different congregations: Baltimore Hebrew Congregation (1845-1889), a traditional congregation that later “reformed” its liturgy and practices, St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church (1889-1905), one of the first Lithuanian “ethnic” parishes in the United States, and Shomrei Mishmeres HaKodesh (1905-1963), one of the leading Orthodox congregations of the East European immigrant community.