Manuscript Collection 5: Louis J. Fox Papers
ACCESS AND PROVENANCE
The Louis J. Fox Papers were found in the collection of the Jewish Museum of Maryland in July 2004 without an accession number; having been referred to since its arrival as MS 5. Unable to reconcile the collection with an existing accession, it has been assigned accession number 2004.55. Anne Turkos, Vella Beckman and Elva Schneider processed the collection in October 1982. Erin Titter updated and revised the finding aid and box list in July 2004.
Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland – contact Joanna Church, collections manager, email@example.com to make a research appointment.
Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures.
Louis J. Fox was born in Baltimore on June 8, 1911. He graduated from Baltimore City College High School in 1929 and for a short time thereafter worked in the insurance industry and the scrap metal industry. In 1931, Louis and his brother Robert opened Fox Chevrolet in Baltimore. On September 11, 1933, he married Dorothy Newman and they had two daughters, Jill Fox and Shirley (Fox) Scholder. Jill died in the 1950s and her parents founded the Jill Fox Memorial Fund in her honor.
In 1944, Louis Fox entered the Army as a Radio Repairman, Aircraft Equipment and achieved the rank of sergeant. He was discharged in 1946 and he returned to Baltimore to work at his car dealership. In 1958 he bought out his brother Robert and subsequently expanded the business to several area locations and began selling other brands. He served as company president and was named chairman in 1972, a post that he occupied until his death.
Louis Fox was active in several local and national organizations. He was president of the Jewish Welfare Fund in the 1950s, the Associated Jewish Charities in 1965 and 1966, and the Council of Jewish Federations in 1966, 1967, and 1968. He was president at Baltimore Hebrew Congregation and was the first president of its Parents’ Association. He was also on the executive board of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, and was director of the University of Baltimore, Sinai Hospital, and South Baltimore General Hospital, now the Harbor Hospital Center. He was the first president of the Jewish Community Center, a regional chairman for the national Conference of Christians and Jews, and was a founder of the Jewish Historical Society of Maryland, now the Jewish Museum of Maryland.
He died on February 25, 1995 at Sinai Hospital of heart failure.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The Louis J. Fox Papers contain both personal papers and those related to the many organizations with which he was involved. Personal papers include military records, awards, newspaper clippings, and correspondence he received for his accomplishments. Organizational papers consist primarily of official correspondence from the Jill Fox Memorial Fund, the Council of Jewish Federations, the Anti-Defamation League, the Legacy and Endowment Fund, State of Israel Bonds, and the Jewish Deaf Society, and from his involvement with Soviet Jewry. These papers are organized alphabetically by the name of the group or organization.
Folder List: 2004.055 Volume: .5 linear feet
1 1 Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith, 1960-1967
2 Associated Jewish Charities and Welfare Fund, 1949-1977
3 Awards and Tributes, n.d., 1964-1981
4 Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds, reports, national, 1968-1976
5 Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds, reports, international,
6 Jewish Deaf Society, 1971-1974
7 Jewish Telegraphic Agency, newsletters, 1962-1968
8 Jill Fox Memorial Fund, 1960-1974
9 Legacies & Endowment and Pooled Income Funds, n.d., 1965-1974
10 Military Records, 1944-1946
11 Personal Papers, 1946-1966
12 Personal Papers, 1967-1979
13 Soviet Jewry, 1971-1972
14 State of Israel Bonds, 1957-1977