MS 49 Henry P. Cohn Collection
We talk about the size of our collections in linear feet — one linear foot being the size of your typical packing box.? Some of our collections here at the JMM are quite large covering dozens and dozens of linear feet (in the case of the Baltimore Hebrew University archives well over a hundred).? But others are quite small.? We have manuscript collections as small as 0.25 linear feet housed in narrow boxes.? The following collection is one of our small collections just shy of one linear foot.? But large or small each collection in our museum helps us and our researchers tell the story of Jewish life in Maryland.
Henry P. Cohn
Collection, n.d., 1941-1992
?Jewish Museum of Maryland
ACCESS AND PROVENANCE
The Henry P. Cohen Papers were purchased by the Jewish Museum of Maryland from Irwin Kramer in 2000 and give the accession 2000.057. The collection was reprocessed in February 2007 by Jonathan Roscoe.
Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library’s usual procedures.
Henry P. Cohn was a prominent member of the Orthodox community in Baltimore. He served as the President of Shearith Israel congregation as well as the President of Bais Yaakov School for Girls between 1946 and 1963. He later served on the Board of Directors for the Bais Yaakov School.
Scope and Content
The papers of Henry P. Cohn pertain mainly to materials from organizations to which he belonged or worked. Programs, bulletins, and newsletters comprise much of the collection. The collection also contains bylaws and correspondence for various organizations.