Synagogue Bulletins

Posted on November 8th, 2012 by

Today is a great day!

The Jewish Museum of Maryland has been collection synagogue bulletins for years as a resource for staff and researchers, but until today we didn't have a good way to get out the information about this collection.  We’ve had these bulletins, but it took a dedicated intern to organize 26 linear feet of material and create a detailed list of the congregations and bulletins.  This took some time but today the process was completed! This blog contains an abbreviated version of that list (which can also be found in our online collections database).  If you’re interested in more detail about which dates are included in this collection contact the archivist.

Synagogue & Congregation Bulletins of Maryland

1956-present

The Jewish Museum of Maryland

SCOPE AND CONTENT

This active collection consists primarily of Maryland synagogue and congregation bulletins, newsletters, leaflets, etc. The bulletins and newsletters are weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, and contain information about each synagogue’s and congregation’s announcements, discourses, workings, and information about each synagogue or congregation. Some of the synagogues and congregations included registries or other materials that are marked in the inventory. This is not a complete collection of all synagogues and congregations in Maryland, and not all of the bulletins are a complete run. The files are organized in alphabetical order by name of congregation, and the bulletins are organized chronologically.

Adat Chaim (Reisterstown) — May 1994 through November 2007

Agudath Israel of Baltimore (Baltimore) [The Lasson Agudah Center] — n.d, Volumes 137, 139, 143, 145-148, 150, 152, 160

Am Kolel (Rockville) –Aug 2003 through April 2005

Anshe Emunah-Aitz Chaim Congregation (Baltimore) [Liberty Jewish Center] — Apr 1963

Baltimore Hebrew Congregation (weekly) — Dec 1962 through September 2006

Baltimore Hebrew Congregation. Courtesy of Paul Schlossberg. 1984.24.2

Baltimore Jewish Cultural Chavurah (Towson) — July 2003 through September 2005

Bat Yam (Ocean City) — April 2002 through March 2011

Temple Bat Yam. Courtesy of Dianne Feldman. 2002.75.1

Beit Tikvah (Mt. Washington) — November 1978, September 1991 to 1997

B'er Chayim (Cumberland) — July 2003 through present

Beth Am (Baltimore) — July 2003 through December 2011

Beth El Congregation (Baltimore) — April 1963 through November 2006

Beth El Congregation (Bethesda) — July 2003 through present

Beth Israel Synagogue (Lexington Park) — March 1997 through March 2009

Beth Israel Congregation (Owings Mills) — April 1996 through present

Beth Israel Synagogue on Liberty Rd. Courtesy of Louis Beck. 1987.173.60

Beth Jacob Congregation (Baltimore) [weekly] — December 1961 through December 2005

Beth Shalom (Columbia) — July 2003 through March 2004

Beth Sholom Synagogue (Frederick) — July 1995 through December 2010

Beth Sholom (Potomac) — November 2003 through January 2009

Beth Tfiloh Syngagoue (Baltimore) — June 1962 through Present

Beth Tfiloh pre-school class of Mrs. Eve Marks and Mrs. Silverstein, Baltimore, December 1960. Courtesy of Eve Marks. 1995.170.1

Bethesda Jewish Congregation — November 2003

B'nai Abraham (Hagerstown) — July 2003 through March 2008

Early B'nai Abraham congregation location. 1987.137.3

B'nai Israel (Rockville) — September 2005

B'nai Shalom of Olney — September 2003 through December 2004

B'nai Tzedek (Potomac) [Jewish Congregation of Suburban MD Inc.] — January 1997 through present

Bolton Street Synagogue (Baltimore) — November 1989 through October 2010

Calah Congregation (Columbia) — January 2004 through June 2010

Chestertown Havurah — January 2004 through May 2007

Chizuk Amuno Congregation (Baltimore) — February 1956 through present

Congregation Har Shalom (Potomac) — June 2003 through present

Columbia Jewish Congregation (Columbia) — July 2003 through Sept 2004

Congregation Or Chadash (Germantown/ Damascus) — October 2003 through present

Gaithersburg Hebrew Congregation (Gaithersburg) — August 1971 through March 1973

Har Sinai Congregation (Baltimore) — May 1963 through February 2009

Jewish Community Center of Prince George County, Inc.  (Greenbelt) — July 2003 through August 2006

Kneseth Israel (Annapolis) — June 1998 through December 2001

Kneseth Israel, Annapolis, c. 1995. Courtesy of Eric Goldstein. 2001.113.22

Kol Ami (Annapolis) — August 1997 through May 2005

Nevy Shalom (Bowie) — January 2000 through August 2005

Ner Tamid Greeenspring Valley Spring Synagogue (Baltimore) — July 2003 through August 2007

Ohr Kodesh (Chevy Chase) — March 1997 through present

Oseh Shalom (Laurel) — July 2003 through May 2010

Shaarei Zion (Baltimore) — September 1961 through June 2010

Shaarei Zion at Park Heights Avenue and Hillsdale Road, n.d. 1987.137.38

Shearith Israel (Baltimore) — 1992, 2003 through present

Shearith Israel Synagogue at Park Heights Avenue and Glen Avenue. 1987.137.15Temple Emanuel, c. 1980. Courtesy of Paul Schlossberg

Shomrei Emunah (Baltimore) — July 2003 through January 2004

Temple Beth Ami (Rockville) — October 2003 through March 2009

Temple Emanuel (Baltimore) (weekly) — March 1963 through October 1968

Temple Emanuel/ Kol Kore (Kensington) — January 2004 through March 2009

Temple Emanuel (Reisterstown) — January through December 2003

Temple Isaiah (Columbia) — August 2003 through March 2007

Temple Oheb Shalom — December 1961 through present

Temple Shalom (Chevy Chase) — July 2003 through September 2006

Temple Solel (Bowie) — April 1998 through present

Tikvat Israel Congregation (Rockville) — July 2003 through June 2012

Winands Road Synagogue Center (Randallstown) — July 2003 through present

Winands Road Synagogue Center, c. 1980. Courtesy of Paul Schlossberg. 1994.24.33

windows antivirus software

Young Israel of White Oak (Silver Spring) — through present

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,




MS 49 Henry P. Cohn Collection

Posted on November 1st, 2012 by

We talk about the size of our collections in linear feet — one linear foot being the size of your typical packing box.  Some of our collections here at the JMM are quite large covering dozens and dozens of linear feet (in the case of the Baltimore Hebrew University archives well over a hundred).  But others are quite small.  We have manuscript collections as small as 0.25 linear feet housed in narrow boxes.  The following collection is one of our small collections just shy of one linear foot.  But large or small each collection in our museum helps us and our researchers tell the story of Jewish life in Maryland.

Henry P. Cohn. Courtesy of Irwin Kramer. 2000.57.6.

Henry P. Cohn

Collection, n.d., 1941-1992

MS 49

 Jewish Museum of Maryland

ACCESS AND PROVENANCE

The Henry P. Cohen Papers were purchased by the Jewish Museum of Maryland from Irwin Kramer in 2000 and give the accession 2000.057. The collection was reprocessed in February 2007 by Jonathan Roscoe.

Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.

Aerial view of Bais Yaakov, 1987. Courtesy of Irwin Kramer. 2000.57.9

Biographical Sketch

Henry P. Cohn was a prominent member of the Orthodox community in Baltimore. He served as the President of Shearith Israel congregation as well as the President of Bais Yaakov School for Girls between 1946 and 1963. He later served on the Board of Directors for the Bais Yaakov School.

Bais Yaakov camp, n.d. Courtesy of Irwin Kramer. 2000.57.18

Scope and Content

The papers of Henry P. Cohn pertain mainly to materials from organizations to which he belonged or worked. Programs, bulletins, and newsletters comprise much of the collection. The collection also contains bylaws and correspondence for various organizations.

antivirus software

Bais Yaakov camp, n.d. Courtesy of Irwin Kramer. 2000.57.24.

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland




MS 57 Edward Rosenfeld Papers

Posted on October 18th, 2012 by

Eddie Rosenfeld painting a canvas in a field. Courtesy of Licien Harris. 2001.57.1

Edward Rosenfeld, 1906-1983

Papers, n.d., 1876-1982

MS 57

 The Jewish Museum of Maryland

Black and white photo postcard with Edward Rosenfeld, center, and two other boys, n.d. Courtesy of Licien Harris. 1998.147.4.11

ACCESS AND PROVENANCE

The Edward Rosenfeld Papers were donated to the Jewish Museum of Maryland by Licien Harris in 1998, 2000 and 2001 as accessions 1998.147, 2000.072, 2000.134 and 2001.057. The collection was reprocessed in November 2002 by Robin Waldman and Erin Titter. MS 57 originally contained only the 2000.72 materials.

Access to the collection is unrestricted and is available to researchers at the Jewish Museum of Maryland.  Researchers must obtain the written permission of the Jewish Museum of Maryland before publishing quotations from materials in the collection.  Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH

Edward (Eddie) Rosenfeld was born in Baltimore in 1906 and lived in Walbrook.  Eddie had two or three brothers and two sisters, but he never married.  Eddie's father had a shoemaker shop on Baltimore Street.  Eddie had an early job as sign painter's apprentice, and went to Maryland Institute College of Art for about one semester.  During the war, Eddie had a job in Washington, DC framing pictures.  Later, Eddie returned to Baltimore and rented and subsequently bought a house on Tyson Street before the house was renovated and the neighborhood was revitalized. He was long known as “The Mayor of Tyson Street” due to the regentrification of Mount Vernon that Rosenfeld was integral in initiating in the 1940s. A group of artists including Carl Metzler, Aaron Sopher, Reuben Kramer, Jacob Glushakow & Eddie would meet regularly there to paint and critique each other's work.  Eddie was also a part of a weekly lunch group with Jim Brady, Donald Proctor, and Dr. Neustadt, who met at the Belvedere Hotel or Rosenfeld's house.  Rosenfeld’s works are owned by many known repositories of art, including the Jewish Museum of Maryland, the Baltimore Museum of Art, and the Phillips Collection. When Eddie Rosenfeld died in 1983 he donated his body to science and was subsequently buried in Spring Grove Cemetery.

term paper

Edward Rosenfeld in doorway of house on Tyson Street in Baltimore, n.d. Courtesy of Licien and Barr Harris. 2000.134.3

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The Edward Rosenfeld Papers represent the life of Baltimore artist Edward Rosenfeld.  The collection is divided into two series: Series I. Documents, n.d., 1876-1982. Series II. Photographs, n.d., 1917-1979.

Edward Rosenfeld and Callie Cochran with three teenage girls looking at a poster for the Equal Opportunity Commission, n.d. Courtesy of Licien Harris. 2000.72.33

Series I. Documents contains scrapbook materials that Rosenfeld gathered both about his artistic career and about his Tyson Street neighborhood.  Further notable inclusions are several sketches by Rosenfeld, a drawing by Jacob Glushakow, and a print by Jane Dwyer.

Series II. Photographs (housed as MS 57 Box 3) contains photographs of Edward Rosenfeld, his mother, family members, his paintings, his work with the Equal Opportunity Commission, his childhood home in Walbrook, and his home at 913 Tyson Street.  Folders are arranged alphabetically by folder title.

Edward Rosenfeld painting a water scene while standing on a dock, n.d. Courtesy of Licien Harris. 1998.147.5.13

zp8497586rq

Posted in jewish museum of maryland




Next Page »